Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Back in Black OR Using Cash to Stay Above Water

I already said I tried the jars and started to faulted when I couldn't be bothered to keep track of each cent. I think I teeter quite obsessively about this money thing (I write a blog about it.. for starters) and when I think it's getting to take too much time up, I halt it in its tracks.

Well, as I repeatedly run out of money before the month is up and I'm apparently having a hell of a time spending less than $100 a month on entertainment (I love Sushi!) I figured it was time to put a definite end to my new fun habit of "borrowing" money from the future months SO here I go!

I'm taking the money out on the 15th of each month, but this month's is prorated because of money I already blew. Principle's pretty easy.

- take out money
- put it in envelope with totals written on it (try to be a smidge neater then me)
- track purchases, change totals to reflect that. Keep receipts in envelope.
- DON'T SPEND MORE THAN $100 ON ENTERTAINMENT!

This seems good, as I can be a rule breaker (ex. Taking my April/May money out on the 12th, not 15th.) when I just want a cupcake or something but those little overages each month that I brush under the rug will really trip me up over the months. I have each dollar accounted for, and I can't make regular, mega payments on my loans if I falter for another video rental or gin and tonic. It's just not worth it.

While I'm at it, any ideas about cheap dates or food would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

OSAP Repayment
Final Goal Date: Sept 2009

Started: May 2008
Finished: JUNE 2009!!

$8200
-$8000
$0 .


TD Line of Credit
Final Goal Date: Sept 2012

Started: May 2009
Finished: ??

-$34000
Only $33,326 to go! .


$12000 in Emergency Savings
Final Goal Date: ASAP

Started: Jan 2008
Finished: ??

2.4k
-0
$12000 in savings .