Thursday, May 7, 2009

I get by with a little help from my friends...

I just wanted to reiterate that sharing your experiences or situations with friends and family can go a long way to relieving any tension you may feel from keeping a big bad debt secret. Sure I'm paying back "good debt" but it's still a hardship and a lot of my friends are in a better place financially than I am.

Not only can they be a support system, they might surprise you with extra help (financially or otherwise) or be able to give you some advice. Since my siblings and I are all university grads with mega debt, we've forgone our birthday presents for the past 3 years. It's great.

This week, my friend V who's currently out of town left me this message:
"Hey, can you budget me in for dinner sometime round about the first week of June? Thought I'd get in there in advance to give you some planning time ;)"

How awesome is that!? It may seem a little excessive in the planning department, but it's great to have a heads up rather than a last minute $30 beer/nachos/hockey night. You should not sacrifice friendships so you can save a buck, be proactive in seeking out some ways to keep costs down.

If you're not in debt, maybe ask your struggling buddy to go for a walk, have a potluck, or check out a free museum tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

OSAP Repayment
Final Goal Date: Sept 2009

Started: May 2008
Finished: JUNE 2009!!

$8200
-$8000
$0 .


TD Line of Credit
Final Goal Date: Sept 2012

Started: May 2009
Finished: ??

-$34000
Only $33,326 to go! .


$12000 in Emergency Savings
Final Goal Date: ASAP

Started: Jan 2008
Finished: ??

2.4k
-0
$12000 in savings .