Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring! Waldorf Salad and Banana Nut Muffins


FINALLY finding my camera cord, I have some photos and recipes for you!

I'm really watching my money right now and so with $30 in my pocket for groceries this week I settles on chili and salad for my dinners this week. It's a short week because of the holiday and I have some curry left over from the weekend which is still plentiful.

I wasn't too hungry tonight so I just made the salad to start. The curry is great and it has some veggies included... but sometimes you just need some salad.

Inspired by searching "cabbage" I borrowed from ELS' Waldorf Salad and made my own.

Waldorf Salad
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1 small head of green cabbage, chopped coleslaw style
1 small onion, diced fine (I left this out, most would include it)
2 carrots, grated
1 small green pepper, diced
1/2 c golden raisins
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Dressing
1/4 cup of mayonnaise ( I ran out and had to use 1/8 cup of sour cream)
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
heaping tablespoon of sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

Mix salad ingredients together until well combined

Stir up dressing ingredients together and tweak as needed.

Done!

--- If you ever wanted a make ahead salad which will get way better with time this is the one for you! This baby is picnic ready, so enjoy.

------------------------

This weekend I had some time on my hands so I decided to save the rotting bananas I had and make them into delicious banana bread. Since gluten and I aren't buddies I know I can't munch on too many at a time, so for freezability, I make any loaves I make (zucchini, banana, etc) as muffins.

Here's a great basic recipe (based on ELS' take on Smitten Kitchen's). I left out the rum since I don't have any liquor in the house (because I'm poor, not because I'm a puritan) and you can tell there's something missing. I would have added chocolate chips had a had more than a half cup on hand.

"Jacked-Up" Banana nut Muffins
Makes one dozen

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 c melted margarine or oil
3/4 c lightly packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 t vanilla
1 T rum or Wild Turkey
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1 t baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c of flour
1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Mash up your bananas and then add in the melted margarine and brown sugar.
Mix about with a wooden spoon until well combined and then toss in the egg, rum and the rest of the spices.
Add the baking powder and a pinch of salt and combine.
Add the nuts and incorporate before adding the flour and mixing well
Pour batter into muffin cup and bake for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven or until cake tester comes out clean.
Remove from oven. When cooled slightly, remove from muffin tin and put on rack to cool completely. Or you know... eat.

If you want to make a loaf, just pour it into a loaf pan and cook for 1 hour.
-----

Would you believe my mother and a coworker also made banana muffins this weekend? Maybe something is in the air, but maybe a banana nut muffin is the bridge to spring. It is neither a heavy pumpkin muffin nor a light summery fruit filled delight.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Still a little blurry, but definitely the best of the bunch!

    ReplyDelete

OSAP Repayment
Final Goal Date: Sept 2009

Started: May 2008
Finished: JUNE 2009!!

$8200
-$8000
$0 .


TD Line of Credit
Final Goal Date: Sept 2012

Started: May 2009
Finished: ??

-$34000
Only $33,326 to go! .


$12000 in Emergency Savings
Final Goal Date: ASAP

Started: Jan 2008
Finished: ??

2.4k
-0
$12000 in savings .